Thursday, April 21, 2011

Realities of visiting in Florence

Why it would be good to have a hospitality house in Florence.

From the Reform Immigration for America blog

I was in Florence, Arizona two days ago at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center. I went to visit a friend of a friend from NY but they didn’t let me in. The info a corrections officer gave me over the phone was wrong even though I called on the same day I planned to visit to verify visiting hours & policy. So after driving 2 hours there I left without seeing her and they wouldn’t allow me to leave any money in her account either. I was sad.

I also met 2 girls that had been traveling all day. They came in to Phoenix from NYC and took a cab to Florence, AZ to the detention center. Only one of them was allowed in to see their family member. The other had to stay outside with their bags and cell phones — it was 105 degrees that day. They asked me if I knew a good immigration lawyer and of course I didn’t.

There is absolutely nothing close to the detention center. Nothing is within walking distance. So my heart went out to those girls who were going to have to walk two miles to the nearest motel.

Read the rest of the article here:
http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/blog/i-was-in-florence-az-at-the-ice-detention-center/

No comments:

Post a Comment